Monday, October 12, 2009

Friends, Friendship and Ravioli

Recently, I’ve been thinking about friends and the ribbon of friendship weaving through our lives. Old friends, new friends, sisters who are friends and friends with whom I’ve lost touch – so many memories of friends, old and new, involve sharing something to eat and drink. It puts in a mind of pasta – strong, tender, simple, sublime, and good for the soul.

Last week, one of my dearest friends from childhood was kind enough to drive four hours to spend the weekend with me. The espresso machine was warmed up, the sour cream banana bread was baked and we were able to start getting reacquainted. We had plans to go on a hike, pick apples, visit the local farmer’s market, or just get out of the house…but first we thought we’d have some lunch and a splash of wine. We opened a bottle of Muga rosé and headed out to the deck while the puff pastry shell pre-baked. The sun was warm, the wine was cool and the conversation sparkling – so the pre-baking crossed into baking…definitely the sign of things to come.

The gruyere tart was ridiculously easy (yes, even though my pre-baking mishap seems to tell a different story) – grated cheese on the shell, topped with asparagus alternating tip to toe, drizzle with olive oil, grind some pepper, sprinkle some salt, and then into the oven to bake. This is one of those recipes that is incredibly simple and showcases quality ingredients – we had it hot and cold and loved it both ways! This tart will be making another appearance (or three) at holiday time. Check the details in Martha Stewarts’s Everyday Food cookbook.

So one glass turned into two, one story into three and the clock turned to four – the field trip was canceled as we could not drag ourselves out of our deck chairs…what a fabulous way to spend a day – instead of a hike, I took a walk down memory lane with a dear friend – the best kind of exercise imaginable.

For dinner we decided to make butternut squash ravioli.
The Silver Spoon is considered the Italian Joy of Cooking, so it seemed a great choice to guide us through the meal. Teri made the pasta while I took on the filling. The pasta is so easy (if you’re not the one kneading) – eggs, flour and salt. The filling was too, squash through the food mill (it smelled amazing), bread crumbs, parmesan cheese (now it is mouthwatering) salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Roll, roll, roll, fill, fill, fill, seal, seal, seal, boil, boil, boil and done! Finished with a simple sage and butter sauce – amazing ingredients lovingly prepared = amazing taste. We poured a Dutton Goldfield Chardonnay and the angels were singing…even the ones with tarnished wings!

Does this mean when I cook and eat alone that I’m not with a friend? These are the times I enjoy an alternate view of friends and friendship – an old friend, like the recently popular Mastering the Art of French Cooking, guides me through the steps, my copper pan sautéing the veal evokes a visit to Dehillerin, and the glass of chardonnay feels like an old friend I met at a barrel tasting. While I eat and sip, I can remember the thrill of meeting Julia Child or eating, drinking and laughing my way through France with friends…the circle of friendship is complete. To all of my friends thank you for then and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment